This past summer we decided to visit the Pskov and Novgorod, near which we found Vyazhishchsky Monastery that is near the village Vyazhischi of Novgorod region.

It was founded at the end of the XIV century by monks Euphrosyne, Ignatius and Galaktion. The first mention in the annals is - 1411.

In 1411 St. Nicholas Cathedral (made of wood) was built. In 1419 a wooden church was built in honor of St. Anthony the Great. In 1458 in the monastery was buried its tonsures, Archbishop of Novgorod Euthymius.

In the XVII century the monastery had the patronage of the first kings of the Romanov dynasty. In 1670-80 respectivelyit was added Nicholas Ponedelsky and Spassky Syabersky monasteries. The initiator of a radical restructuring of the monastery at the end of the XVII century was Bogolep Sablin (from 1683 to 1697 - the abbot Vyazhishchsky Monastery), which is characterized by contemporaries as a man of ambition, well-known in Moscow and who had close ties among the higher clergy.

There is a strong opinion that Bogolep shared Nikon’s ideas, who had been already deprived of patriarch and died by this time. In the struggle for supremacy of spiritual power over the secular one, Nikon aimed to create buildings that by size, architectural forms and decoration were superior to the king. In the implementation of plans of Bogolep, Metropolitan of Novgorod Euthymius III could participate. Euthymius was familiar with Nikon, shared his views, he loved splendor and pomp.

 Builders in Vyazhischi were invited, probably from Moscow.

The capital's master took into account the specificity of the conditions and characteristics of the Novgorod Novgorod architecture. The buildings are combined with the splendor of Moscow and Novgorod rigor.

To the present day, the buildings of the end of XVII century are preserved: Cathedral of St. Nicholas (in honor of St. Nicholas, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia) (1681-1683 years, it was consecrated in 1685 by Metropolitan Cornelius Novgorod), the refectory with the Church of the Holy Apostle and Evangelist John the Theologian and the Ascension (1694 -1698 years), gallery, connecting them, and having two front porches. At the beginning of the XVIII century in the northern part of the monastery two stone buildings were built: a two-storey with cells for monks and economic storey housing. Originally the monastic complex was surrounded by a wooden fence. At the beginning of the XIX century, it was replaced by a stone fence.

 

 

Cathedral of St. Nicholas is a two-storey building with five domes, with the southern and northern sides it has stone vaulted galleries. On the west side of the facade there is a porch with two "Tents", which are topped with tents (they were lost and recovered on the basis of the inventory of 1698). The decoration and the very type of construction have stylistic similarities with the churches in the Volga region. In the semicircular niches at the top of the facade of the temple, the paintings of the XIX century were preserved. Paint was applied onto the brick surface, so if the figures are manifested through the wall surface. In 1691 the lower church of the Cathedral of St. Euphemia over the grave of Novgorod, was dedicated in his honor. Here there were his strength and chains. Currently, both the church work.

In the eastern part of the refectory were two churches: the Church of the Apostle and Evangelist John the Theologian (consecrated in December 8, 1702) and the Church of the Ascension of the Lord (consecrated in December 2, 1708). The church wing had to marry five chapters, but during a storm in 1698, storm demolished the temple roof and after restoration work in 1702 it got the completion. The five domes were restored only after restoration work in 2005. Currently, the refectory of the church is in the process of restoration work and the service is not performed.

The features of buildings the end of XVII century is the use of colored tiles.


www.shutterstock.com

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

You can also listen to my album

wildwind

Here are my artworks

www.shutterstock.com